Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Rock 'N Learn:Addition & Subtraction Rap



great video to reinforce addition and subtraction facts
I bought this DVD last spring to use in my first grade classroom. I use it for motivation during math-if we get everything done that we need to get done, then we can have the last 10 or 15 minutes of math time to watch the DVD. The kids LOVE it. They have already learned how to add and subtract but we will continually review our facts from now until the end of the year. The kids are really into the characters, which remind me of animated versions of the new Alvin and the Chipmunks. The songs get progressively harder as the DVD goes on and it's easy to pick just the segments that you want from the menu screen. This has been a great addition to our math curriculum!

A nice alternative to flashcards
I was looking for something to reinforce our addition facts to make sure my son had all of them down. Amazon did not have a clip to view a sample so I went to youtube. My son was interested in the cartoon characters and the colorful way the facts were presented. I like the addition rock better for the slower pace and music but he liked the addition rap better since the cartoon characters caught his attention. He will even watch it himself and since he is very visual this is a great learning tool. I like that it includes the subtraction too. Another good feature is the way they break them into groups. Facts to sum of 5, then 10, so it is in smaller groups. I've looked for a dvd for a while and this is a good one. It is entertaining and since flashcards are boring to him, this is a nice alternative.

Rock N Learn rocks
My kids can't get enough of these videos. My son I've been homeschooling since he was 4 and isn't even in Kindergarten yet, however he's in 1st grade Math. These videos are partly responsible. After teaching they do some equations with a few seconds wait time, waiting for the kids to answer back. I watch with my kids and make it into a contest. (Sometimes pretending I'm really bad at math) and they love it! They are so proud when they can should the answer before anyone else. I also own Phonics 1 & 2, Time, and money. Rock N Learn, you rock!

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment